One of the Women’s Homes’ most successful, exciting and well-received fundraisers is our style show and designer sale called ReNew & ReDo, held in August of each year. At this New York style runway show and sale, high-end designer clothes and accessories that have been donated throughout the year to our Cottage Shop resale store are modeled and sold at a ticketed event held at a fashionable Houston venue. This event not only raises funds for TWH, but is a highly effective promotion of our successful social enterprise, The Cottage Shop, which enjoys sales of over $500,000.00/year and is a critical element in not only our revenue stream, but also in the vocational training of our clients.
As the TWH Fashion Show Development Assistant, our intern will be responsible for essential event planning, promotion and implementation, market research, donor recruitment and volunteer coordination for one of The Women’s Home’s key annual fundraisers.
Development Assistant: Fashion Show
Internship Job Description:
This internship requires a bright, dynamic, high-energy student interested in acquiring a broad range of personal and professional skills in the areas of non-profit fundraising, marketing and fashion retail management. In addition, the intern will gain an understanding of our program mission by working side by side with TWH clients at The Cottage Shop. With the support and training provided by TWH staff such as our Director of Resource Development and Cottage Shop Store Manager, the internship will provide in-depth experience through the following job requirements:
- Event Planning: The student will experience the inner workings of how non-profit fundraisers are planned and implemented including cost/profit analysis, advertising, volunteer/staff/venue coordination and event day organization and implementation.
Time frame: Ongoing throughout the internship.
- Market Research: In order to recruit the best possible designer clothing donations for the fashion show, our intern will develop a spreadsheet of area boutiques and resale shops that could potentially donate unsold items for the show. This would require extensive online research to develop a spreadsheet of key information about the retailers along with in person visits to the stores to assess their viability as donors. Then the intern will work with staff to create an effective method of contacting each retailer to determine their interest in donating their designer items to TWH, including appropriate materials and sales strategies.
Time Frame: During the first two weeks of the internship, once orientation and initial training by the Resource Director and Cottage Shop Manager is completed.
- Donor Recruitment: After fine-tuning their “pitch”, the intern will then contact retailers via phone or in person to encourage their participation in the project and hopefully develop them as a long-term donor for TWH.
Time Frame: This will continue throughout the course of the internship, but will be most intense during the 3rd – 6th weeks.
- Product Assessment and Organization: As clothing and accessories are donated, the intern will learn how to choose which items are best-suited for ReNew & ReDux and perform the research necessary to determine appropriate value and pricing. They will then work with staff and TWH clients to organize the chosen items.
Time Frame: Ongoing as donations arrive, but likely most intense during the 5th through 8th week of the internship.
- Show Preparation: The intern will work with Fashion Show Professionals to choose which clothing and accessories will be part of the show and work with our volunteer models to coordinate the outfits each will wear.
Time Frame: Weeks 5th – 8th.
- Event Day Planning: The intern will work with our Resource Director to determine event day details such as catering, venue layout, invitations, program, advertising/public relations and ticket sales.
Time Frame: Ongoing throughout internship.
- Event Implementation: On show day, the intern will work with TWH Resource Director, Cottage Shop Store Manager and Communications Manager to ensure that all aspects of the event run smoothly including support for models, volunteer and guest management, registration and overall event flow.
Time Frame: Day of event.
To apply for this internship, please send resumes to Debra Richmond at firstname.lastname@example.org.